Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Remembering Joe Dallon: Tango DJ at Firehouse Milonga


                A man I knew passed away this past week. He was the DJ at the Firehouse Milonga in Maywood, NJ, the place where I began my tango education. I did not know him well but Joe Dallon is a permanent part of my tango memories.
               Memories are strange things. Most people do not know that they are generated by emotions. We do not remember an event if it has no emotional effect on us. If people come into our lives and have no emotional impact then it is as if they had never existed. Joe certainly did exist and lives on in the minds of all the people he affected with his tango playlists.
               Dancing tango is all about creating memories and Joe helped many people make some good ones, including me.
               I have two memories of Joe, one of relief and the other of happiness.
               My first impression of this man was one of apprehension. Standing behind the DJ table in the dim light at Firehouse Milonga, Joe seemed like a maniacal wizard busy casting spells upon the crowd from his laptop.
               I was new to tango back then. Every time I had an incredible dance experience I would ask Joe for the name of the song that just played. I was apprehensive in approaching him at first but he was quite happy to share his music selections with me. This was a big relief and the beginning of my extensive tango library.
               Joe played what I would come to accept as standard milonga fare: a blend of the classics, nuevo and alternative music which were all new to me at the time. I went to the Thursday milonga in Maywood every week for a year and these songs were burned into my brain as what a milonga is supposed to sound like. Eight years later, if I hear a song from Joe’s playlist I can’t keep myself from humming along.
                My second memory of Joe is of his birthday dance with Walter Monteblanco, probably six years ago. Joe was leading and Walter was hamming it up with the embellishments executed with surprising perfection. The whole building was cheering for them and we all left there with an unforgettably happy experience. Their performance was a gift for all who attended.
                If you ever find yourself in Maywood, New Jersey on a Thursday night, stop in to the Firehouse Milonga. Joe won’t be spinning records but he’s still there in the memories of the dancers. I’m sure they’re all just like me, humming along to the songs that they first heard from that wonderful DJ, Joe Dallon.

               He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment