Sunday, May 31, 2015

Tango Is Not Sex

American culture has a problem with intimacy and I think it is a big impediment to our understanding of tango. It is my guess that the source of this difficulty stems from our Puritanical roots but it does not matter, only that we recognize that it should be a concern.
There is a tremendous release of stress during the sex act. I've detected a similar release of tension after some of my tango encounters. I think this same observation has been made by many who take up this dance and therein lies the confusion that tango and sex are kind of the same.
I have a machine that massages my feet. It is wonderful. I think that it too relieves stress but I do not in any way associate it with sex.
I am not going to say what I think leads to sex but I can say with certainty that tango and sex are not one and the same. If this is what you think then you need to get over it because it is an obstacle to your progress. This kind of thinking creates a false foundation on which to build your dance and it will not support you when you run into trouble, such as when you start a sexual relationship based upon satisfying tango encounters.
Let me tell you what I think tango is. It is two people attempting to translate a song into movement with spontaneous choreography. We accomplish this by connecting to our partner physically, mentally and emotionally. Maintaining balance as we unite so completely with a stranger is difficult. We become tango dancers when we attempt to educate ourselves on the finer points of stability and synergy. It is an education that never ends and it is a process that cannot begin until the student realizes that the bedroom is not at the end of the road.




For more publications by the Kayak Hombre, check out my books available on Amazon:





No comments:

Post a Comment